1 14 oz pkg firm tofu
1 tbsp vegan margarine or vegetable oil (olive, canola, safflower, grapeseed, etc.)
¼ cup onion, finely chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 clove garlic, chopped or ½ tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp (or more) paprika and/or mustard powder (optional)
1 tbsp vegan mayo (e.g. Vegenaise, Just Mayo or Earth Balance)
½ tsp salt (if you have it, use Kala Namak, called Indian black salt)
black pepper to taste
Heat margarine or oil in pan over medium heat. Saute onion until soft. Add any other veggies until cooked through. Crumble tofu into pan. Add seasonings and mayo. Heat thoroughly. Add salt and pepper.
Add potatoes – Cut potatoes into cubes, fry in skillet, remove them, prepare the scramble in the skillet and then throw them back in.
Variations – add some of the following or use your imagination – the possibilities are endless.
– Mexican – cumin, chili powder, salsa, cilantro, green chiles, vegan cheddar or monterey jack (Daiya, or Follow Your Heart), avocado, vegan chorizo (Soyrizo, Trader Joe’s, or Upton’s) or Chipotle Sausage (Field Roast), Tomatoes, smother in green chili
– Greek – Kalamata olives, Red & Green Bell Peppers, Tomatoes, Red Onions
– Italian – Basil, Oregano, Red & Green Bell Peppers, Olives, Sun-dried Tomatoes, Vegan Italian Sausage (Upton’s, Tofurky, Field Roast or Sweet Earth)
– Spring Vegetable & Herb – asparagus, green onion, spinach, fresh tarragon, fresh parsley, chives
– Mushroom Lovers – cremini, shiitake, oyster mushrooms, thyme, tarragon, parsley
– Veggie Bacon & Cheeze – Vegan Bacon (Upton’s, Lightlife or Tofurky), Vegan Cheese (Daiya, Follow Your Heart or Chao)